Sunday, February 18, 2007

Antichrist's Warning of the Week: Your Own Street

Philadelphia Mayor John Street is not selling his children, instead a poor Hungarian village is selling street names for anyone with $511 to spare. The name of the street will not be altered for 300 years. The catch is that Hungarian law states that a street cannot be named after someone living.

Is buying a street in the village of Ivad, a ticket to an early grave (a la taking TrimSpa or an airplane with Richie Valens and Buddy Holly). Both too soon. Anyhow this scheme reminds me of a movie rental place that sold me a lifetime membership and promptly moved out. They would have probably moved out right when I gave them the money, and would have been happy with their profit.

Immortality for 5 benjis and a case of Rolling Rock? Would you pay for a street to be remembered, when you die and everyone who knew you dies? I would want to be around and enjoy it, throwing it wildly into conversation. I could however buy a street and name it antimino.blogspot.com and I could see the purchase go effect when the website dies (sometime around spring break).

The mayor hopes to attract stars to lend their name: "If, for example Barbra Streisand, whom I like a lot, has no street named after her, she may decide to have one in our village." I think the most likely famous buyer is Stephen Colbert. He loves that kind of stuff. Extending his celebrity to the poorest of countries.
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home